Our Greek Independence Day Parade on March 25th is fast approaching!
Every year the Federation awards the honorary title of Grand Marshal to an individual that impacted the life of Greek-American community with his contribution and achievements.
Please allow me to introduce this year’s Grand Marshal, Dr. George Ahtaridis. Join us to honor and congratulate Dr. Ahtaridis at the Pre-Parade Dinner (Adelphia Restaurant, 1750 Clements Bridge Rd, Deptford Township, NJ 08096) on March 17, 2018, at 6:00 pm.
Dr. George Ahtaridis
Dr. George Ahtaridis was born in Thessaloniki and raised in Veria, Greece. He is married to Sophia and they have four children and six grandchildren.
Dr. Ahtaridis received his MD Degree from the Aristoteleion University of Thessaloniki, Greece. He moved to the US in 1972 for further studies in Medicine. He completed the required residency in Internal Medicine and Fellowship in Gastroenterology at the University of Pennsylvania. He is Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. He practiced medicine at Graduate Hospital and at the University of Pennsylvania for more than 40 years. He trained many physicians in Internal Medicine and especially in Gastroenterology as a Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine. He is the author of multiple medical papers published in journals and books. He is also a member of several medical Societies. He retired in 2016.
George has been actively involved in the Greek American Community:
- Chairman of the Greek Independence Day Parade, (1980 and 1981).
- President of the Panmacedonian chapter of Philadelphia Pavlos Melas, (1981 to 1983).
- Supreme President of Pan-Macedonian Association, (1986 to 1989).
- President of Federation of Hellenic American Societies of Philadelphia and Delaware Valley, (1983-1986 and 1995-1996).
- Chairman of the Committee to organize demonstrations in New York and Washington, DC regarding the Macedonian Issue, (1991).
- Member of Hellenic American National Committee (HANC), and Council for Greeks Abroad (ΣΑΕ) in 1996.
- Served as a member of the Boards of St. Thomas GOC, Cherry Hill, NJ and St Luke GOC, Broomall, PA.
- Founding member and President of the Hellenic Medical Societies of Philadelphia, (1999-2002).